Purpose of project:
1. Take a photo of your face using Photo Booth.
2. Choose one typeface from the list that you think suits you. You should consider both your personality and your facial features when you make this decision. Consult the photograph if it helps.
3. Create a 7″ x 7″ CMYK document in Illustrator and place the photograph into a base layer to use as a guide. Scale this up or down so that your face fits into the allotted space.
4. Using Roberto De Vicq De Cumptich’s work as your guide, use only the letters of your first and last name (you can use your nickname if you want) to construct a self-portrait.
5. You may rotate, reflect and repeat letters. You may increase or decrease the size of the type depending on what is necessary, but please use points to do so. You may use different styles of the typeface to create emphasis. You should not distort type in any way. Try to use all of the letters. You may use punctuation, but try not to rely on it. Your features will likely become exaggerated—that’s ok, be expressive!
6. You must use black letters on a white background. You can use one CMYK swatch as an accent color. Carefully consider how you use this so that it does not detract from the main focus of this assignment—how the type is used.