Creation of the Dark Knight Opening Credit (Filmed Portion)

Creating the Dark Knight Opening credits required a lot of thought to accomplish a cohesive sequence. I was initially stuck on the idea of the actor playing cards. After a little thought i decided why not film cards dropping? It would be more realistic than trying to create it in after effects, so i decided to go for it and see how it would turn out. My initial idea was just to drop playing cards, but after one thought it snowballed into another, “Oh! I could do this”, or “It would be really cool if I did this!” My mind took me all over the place to develop what i finally had in the final video. After having my overall idea i had to gather supplies.

Luckily for me I work at Lowe’s and had all the materials I needed to complete this project including the cardboard! Not pictured I also needed a sheet of glass (for a burning surface) and i used a shower curtain to keep the spray paint off the floor (neon green for green-screening).

After filming a couple videos of card drops, I found the best video by the stroke of luck with the joker card being face up! So then i had create the batarang from the movies so i could do the next part of my video.

Printed picture taped to cardboard for guide.

Final cut out of batarang.

My plan for the batarang was to pull the batarang up out of a burning pile of cards. To achieve this after cutting the batarang out i had to spray paint it black. After spray painting it I had to figure a way to pull it up while keeping it level so the weight of the cards would not make the bat sway. Thus, I had the idea to attach four wires at four different sections on the bat, 1 on each wing, 1 on the head, and 1 on the tail.

Final rig for the bat.

Once the rig was created i then placed the bat on the glass and placed playing cards on top hiding the bat. The final step was burning the playing cards. Unfortunately, the cards did not burn well by fire alone. I ended having to use gasoline to accelerate the fire and make the cards burn. Dangerous I know! But, I had a fire extinguisher and a large lid to cut the air off from the fire if it got to out of control. After all the preparation i ended with the final clip in the video sequence, well with a little editing, and cutting.

Nevertheless this sequence turned out better than i could have ever expected. I had many firsts in this project including, filming, green screening, creating (albeit) simple rig, and more. Im really happy how this turned out and I hope my future projects improve further!

Advertisements
Tagged , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Advertisements